Goals and Learning Objectives
- Provide pharmacists with comprehensive knowledge, skills, and resources necessary to establish and deliver a successful travel health service
- Teach pharmacists to identify at-risk patient populations in need of preventative and travel care
- Enhance pharmacists' ability to effectively counsel patients on travel health
- Motivate increased numbers of pharmacists to establish travel health services
Self-Study Learning Objectives
At the completion of the self-study program, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the extent of U.S. travel abroad and the incidence of morbidity and mortality in travelers.
- Identify key factors that determine travelers’ health risk including: mode of transportation; destination; duration and season of travel; purpose of travel; standards of lodgings, food hygiene, and sanitation; lifestyle or behavior of the traveler; and underlying health of the traveler and pharmacotherapies used.
- Describe the common diseases and other health problems encountered by international travelers.
- Evaluate vaccines and medications commonly used in travel health.
- Evaluate travel health issues of special populations including: pregnant/nursing mothers; infants/children; travelers with significant underlying medical conditions; disabled travelers; students studying abroad; humanitarian/relief workers; families adopting internationally; and people visiting friends and relatives abroad.
- Identify appropriate travel health resources for patients and health care providers.
- Summarize the signs and symptoms of travel-related illnesses.
Live Seminar Learning Objectives
At the completion of this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Distinguish the information necessary to obtain from patients to conduct a quality travel health risk assessment.
- Explain elements of a 20-minute pre-travel consultation in the community pharmacy setting.
- Demonstrate appropriate health risk communication and management for international travelers.
- Justify the use and timing of vaccinations to prevent diseases associated with travel to certain geographic regions.
- Select appropriate prescription, over-the-counter, and ancillary prophylactic and therapeutic products related to travel health.
Date: Aug 20, 2021 08:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Registration closes on Aug 18, 2021 11:55 PM
Participants have 60 days from the start of their program to claim CE credit and verify it has been upload to CPE Monitor. If your program requires the completion of a post test/eval/survey those items MUST be done before that 60 day window closes to receive credit for that program. Statements of credit can be viewed and printed from CPE Monitor. Statements of credit will no longer be printed and mailed to the participant. **No partial individual session credit will be given**
PAYMENT NOTE: During the registration process, if a fee is required, please enter the zip code associated with your credit card's BILLING ADDRESS. For security purposes payments are processed through a separate system, so when prompted, please click “ok” to be taken to that site and complete your registration. Upon successful registration of this program you will receive an email confirmation/receipt and will be returned to this program page. When you are retuned to this page you will see a note at the top of the page reading “You are registered for this program.”
If you are not automatically returned to this page or see only a blank white screen your transaction was not successful, and you will need to try again.
If paying by check please mail to the address below:
301 Pharmacy Lane, CB# 7574 Beard Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599
The University of North Carolina Eshelman School of Pharmacy is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. To receive CE credit, participants must complete the CE attendance form and the online evaluation of the program (instructions to be emailed). Statements of credit can be viewed and printed in CPE Monitor approximately 2 to 3 weeks after the program and you have completed any needed requirements. **No partial credit will be available**